Do you live in a community in Pennsylvania that is doing great things for sustainability? Or are you in a community that does not seem to be working on any issues related to sustainability? Or do you have knowledge and expertise that could assist your community’s efforts? In any of the above situations we encourage you to check our participating municipalities page to see if your community has already earned a Sustainable PA certification.
First, Check If Your Community Is Already Certified
If your community has already earned a certification in the program, you can see what score they have earned and when they earned it on their community profile. Soon, you will also be able to see if your community has an active Sustainability Team, Environmental Advisory Council, or EcoDistrict process. These are all ways that community members can get involved in the process of creating a more sustainable community.
There are many others as well. Please reach out to them to see if you can join their Environmental Advisory Committee, Sustainability Committee or Team, or work with them to start one!
Beginning the Conversation In Your Community
If not you do not see your community on the participating municipalities page, please see the advice below for how you might begin that conversation. We are happy to help.
If you would like to present this program to your municipal leaders, you can start by sharing this website! If you would rather we reach out to them directly, please contact us using the information at the bottom of this page.
What Your Local Officials Want to Know
Here are some important facts for your local municipal officials about the Sustainable PA program:
- The program is formally recognized by Pennsylvania’s Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED)
- Earning recognition in the program can help municipalities when applying for Commonwealth funded grants or loans.
- It is a joint project of two very well established nonprofits – Pennsylvania Municipal League (PML) and Sustainable Pittsburgh.
- More than 3.3 million people are represented by the more than 115 communities that have already earned certification [See that list here].
- Municipalities who have earned recognition in the program are better prepared for opportunities and challenges that may come in the future.
- Best of all – it is free.
- For a more complete list of benefits [see this page]
If you are still unsure about how to start or if you would like us to present the program to your Council please contact us at email@example.com.